Guys!! I wanted to hop on really quickly to share a recipe with you! Jeannette, I’m looking at you (try this one, you will love it I think).
Egg Muffins a la D.
You can use whatever veggies you want/like/have in your fridge, but the following recipe will be according to what I used.
- 2 bell peppers (green), diced
- white mushrooms ( I bought the pre-sliced ones), diced
- ~ 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- ~ 1/4 cup chopped green onion, diced
- ~ 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- ~1/4 cup diced sundried tomatoes
- 2 tsp pureed garlic
- 4 Laughing Cow light cheese wedges
- ~ 1/2 cup salsa
- 1200g egg whites (I bought the 500g cartons at the grocery store and used roughly 2.5 cartons)
1. Sautee the veggies (including he spinach) in a skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan down with cooking spray.
2. When the veggies are soft, add in the salsa and let it all simmer together for until the veggies are tender-er :D.
3. Put the cooked veggies + salsa aside in a bowl.
4. In a large bowl, mix veggies, laughing cow wedges (I break these up as I add them to the bowl with my fingers), and eggs.
5. Scoop the egg mixture into the muffin pan ( I used a muffin pan with 12 hole thingies)
6. Bake in the oven for about a half an hour (until something poked into the “muffins” comes out clean)
7. Pop out of the muffin pan (you may need to loosen them with a knife) and let cool.
8. Once they’re cool, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. You can also freeze these bad boys for a month!
So, I ended up with 20 muffins altogether, which is perfect because I wanted enough to bring for lunch all week (M-F) – so, I will have 4 a day. Nutritionally, I estimate these guys to be roughly 150 calories, 1g of fat and 30g of protein per 4 muffins (so 37.5 calories, 0.25g of fat and 7ish grams of protein per muffin).